GFI wiring upgrade

Old 10-14-14, 02:49 AM
GFI wiring upgrade

Hi All,

I have a house built in 1958. The wiring is 2 conductor without grounds. The panel is a modern circuit breaker type.

The kitchen wiring and the bathrooms have proper GFI outlets with 3 wire romex and are fed from a smaller utility panel that was recently added.

I have several outlets that have just plain worn out (the spring tension that holds the electrical plug contacts in place is low to non-existant). I can't find replacement 2 prong outlets, so I would like to change the mechanically marginal outlets to more modern 3 prong recepticals. I know I can legally do this IF I buy a modern GFI receptical and install it, with a sticker on the cover that indicates the outlet is a GFI protected 2 wire outlet with no ground.

However, I'd like to install a GFI circuit breaker in the panel instead of buying a bunch of GFI outlets (or tracing each circuit to find the first outlet on each circuit). But the wiring is not easily traced out, because all the wiring is in walls and the basement is a finished basement. Hence my interest in using a single GFCI in the entrance panel.

Is it legal for me to change the circuit breaker in the entrance panel to a GFCI type and change the mechanically poor/worn out 2 prong recepticals with more modern 3 prong types (provided I apply the stickers on the outlet covers that indicate it's a 2 wire connection with GFI breaker)?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes the breaker can b used to provide the gfi protection.

Old 10-14-14, 06:04 PM
I can't find replacement 2 prong outlets,
Both Home Depot and Lowes stock them in several colors.