Radiant Ceiling Heat Wiring

Old 10-14-14, 10:06 AM
Radiant Ceiling Heat Wiring

Hi -

I have a home with radiant ceiling heat that I no longer need. If I understand right the heating elements are built into the drywall so they are not going to get removed.

I would like to remove the wiring from at least the electric panel to free up breakers (they are all 220). In this process I would like to label the disconnected wires so I know where they go.

I would also like to utilize one 220 / 50 amp line to hook something else up.

How are these systems typically wired and what is the best way to go about using an existing wire from box to element location?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 10:45 AM
Ceiling Heat

what is the best way to go about using an existing wire from box to element location?
What do you mean by "box"?

Old 10-14-14, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
What do you mean by "box"?
Main electric panel......

Old 10-14-14, 05:57 PM
I believe Gold Bond was the only gypsum company that put radiant heating in their ceiling drywall back in the '70s and I believe they were always 5/8" thick. In a typical 10' X 15" bedroom there would be one 1,000 watt panel and one 500 watt panel, each with a 10' 2-wire without ground NM pigtail. There would be a single junction box in the attic where the two pigtails were joined. The 20 amp homerun NM cable from the main panel would hit a 2-pole line voltage thermostat on the wall. Another 20 amp NM cable connected to the load side of the thermostat would connect at that attic junction box. One 20 amp homerun might connect two of these bedrooms. The whole house would be completed in a similar fashion with the drywall hangers following a specific heating plan layout for each room and placing the proper wattage panel as layed out on the plan to get the proper wattage for each room. Once the heating panels were hung, the rest of the ceiling was filled in and completed with regular 5/8" thick drywall. The ceilings were then ready for taping and finishing.

I would also like to utilize one 220 / 50 amp line to hook something else up.
That was probably not a ceiling heat circuit as most of this type radiant heat circuits never exceeded 20 amps.