Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outlet doesn't work until I plug something into the adjacent one

Old 10-14-14, 01:21 PM

So as the title says I have an outlet that doesn't work until I plug something into the one 6 feet away in the same room. Quite strange.

I am not an electrical expert by any stretch but did take electricty/electronics in HS and College and know Ohms law. E/I*R stuff..... and have even read a schematic or two.

I am hoping I can figure this out my self..... SAFELY

Thanks for any guidance you can give....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
You might want to start out by turning off the power, pull both receptacles out and check out the wiring for loose connections.

It would be helpful if you could describe the colors of the wires you see on both receptacles.

Old 10-14-14, 06:09 PM
Do you have a voltmeter? What is the voltage on the 2nd receptacle while you have something plugged in to the first?

Old 10-14-14, 06:26 PM
Is this something that just started happening,has there been any work done in the room?
Geo

Old 10-15-14, 06:16 AM
Just a thought; the outlet that is not working are you sure it is not a switched outlet where a light switch must be on for it to work and you just happened to check the other receptacle at the same time the switch might have been in the "on" position as a coincidence which caused the non working receptacle to work. Just my two cents since you did not mention if this receptacle has worked in the past, if you just moved in to this place and unfamiliar with setup, etc. But takes two seconds to check.

Old 10-15-14, 09:15 AM
Wow some great ideas.

I am not sure if it has just recently happened or has been this way all along as it's a spare room that wasn't used much but with the GF moving in with her two children, well you get the idea LOL
It is not on a switch that's the first thing I thought of too.

I will tonight go home and ...

-turn off the electricity to the room and pull them out to see what's doing back there. Maybe it's a loose connection
-take a picture of what back there and post it.
-

Old 10-15-14, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Almost sounds series wired.

Old 10-15-14, 11:33 AM
Thats what I was thinking ray. Thought it might be easier to get a voltage reading before digging around.

Old 10-15-14, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Plug a lamp with an incandescent bulb into the receptacle that always works. Observe how bright the bulb is. Plug a second lamp with the same wattage incandescent bulb into the problem receptacle. Are both bulbs half as bright as normal?