Electric cooktop to gas

Old 10-14-14, 02:47 PM
Electric cooktop to gas

Here is the situation. I have an electric cook top that I want to change to gas. The electric cook top is hooked up to what looks like 6/3 wire, maybe 8/3 wire, to a pair of 40 amp breakers. (80 total amps on a dual pole breaker)

The new gas cook top only needs to be plugged in for the blower and to ignite the burners. My solution would be to cap the red wires on both ends. Remove the double breaker and replace it with two 20 amp breakers. Connect the black, white, ground to one of the new 20 amp breakers and leave the other "dead". Then connect a plug to the cook top side so I can plug in the cook top. It would be the only appliance ever to use that plug and it would be under the counter, out of sight.

Does this sound doable or not? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

to a pair of 40 amp breakers. (80 total amps on a dual pole breaker)
That is a 2 pole, 40 amp breaker, not a pair of 40 amp breakers. It is one unit. Also, you do not add the two together to get the rating, it is 40 amps.

Your plan is sound. You do not have to replace the two pole breaker with two breakers. You can use one breaker and one filler plate for your brand of panel. Most home centers have filler plates.

You might have to splice on a small pigtail of #12 wire to the larger in order to get the wire around the screw of the receptacle.

If your box is a two gang, install two receptacles just to fill the space.

Old 10-14-14, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another option is to add a receptacle off of one of the small appliance branch circuits from the countertop.

If you stick with the original plan you might have to change the box and also buy expensive connectors to connect aluminum to copper.