Kitchen counter outlet

Old 10-14-14, 07:44 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen counter outlet

I am installing new kitchen cabinets and bringing the electrical up to current code (Ontario), only one part of the code i am not too sure about. Now I will have a workspace between the sink and fridge that will be 16 inches long which is over the 11.8 minimum requiring me to put an outlet in. My problem is that the window behind the sink is about 2 Inches above the counter top and extends to the edge of the fridge leaving absolutely no wall to put an outlet in. Do i need an outlet as per code even if there is no wall to put it on? Or do I have any other options? I'd rather not mess up the fronts of the cabinets with any holes.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 07:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Not up on the CEC. If this came up here I would ask the inspector for an opinion or a possible waiver.

Old 10-16-14, 05:20 AM
Received 66 Votes on 62 Posts
Would that be considered usable wall space if there is a window there? Might make a good argument.
Geo

Old 10-16-14, 06:21 PM
That space is absolutely usable.
Get a diamond drill bit and carefully drill holes through the glass. Bolt a box onto the window using rubber washers to keep water out. Make sure you do this every 900mm of window space.

... kidding! You're fine not adding a receptacle there. Key word is "usable" wall space. But as pcboss said, if in doubt contact an inspector.

Old 10-17-14, 01:48 PM
E
Thank you for the insight, we've decided to hang an outlet from the ceiling like a pendant light in the middle of that space, I guess it could double as a pot rack.

all kidding aside, the space will be left alone with no power. Thanks again.