Strange Electrical issue

Old 10-16-14, 06:28 PM
Strange Electrical issue

Hello,
We have an issue with the electrical in our house. On this one heat vent, I touched it and I got a shock. We then called an electrician, and he said he fixed he problem by removing a power strip. I tried that same strip on another outlet, and it worked fine. So its not the power strip. The electrician did figure out the breaker that is causing the issue. That breaker is off at the moment because that is what was making the vent "hot." We also tried an outlet tester, and it says 2 out of the 6 outlets on that circuit are OK. The other 4 have a grounding issue it says. If anybody knows what is causing this issue, please let me know.
Thank you,
Tanner

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-14, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Warm air traveling through a duct creates static electricity. Has static electricity been ruled out? Has it been verified the furnace is properly grounded?

Old 10-16-14, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

More than likely the heat vent is grounded.
When you touched the heat vent.... what else were you touching ?
You need to be touching something live and something grounded to get a shock.

It sounds like you are missing a ground on those receptacles and have a short to hot on one of them.

Old 10-16-14, 08:28 PM
Thanks for responding!

Hello everybody and thanks for responding. The electrician that tested the vent used his multimeter and connected it between the vent and the ground port on the outlet. It read 60 volts. So I was shocked with 60 volts, that is more than static elecricity. I dont know if the furnace is properly grounded. Is there a way to check? I don't remember touching anything else, maybe my guitar amp or radio speaker? I don't remember though. You are correct on the grounding issue. The grounding light on that power strip would not go on, and an outlet tester said there was a grounding issue. What does "short to hot" mean?
Thank you,
Tanner