Repairing above ground pool light

Old 10-16-14, 07:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing above ground pool light

Folks, need your help with a chore...

One of our swimming pool lights died. The light is of the type that has a magnet to connect 2 sides, one of which is in the pool and one of which is outside the pool.
Amazon.com : INTEX Above Ground LED Magnetic Swimming Pool Light | 56687E : Swimming Pool Lighting Products : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The light source is three white leds. I think there was a short or so, because there was a lot of goo when I opened it up. One of the leds was dead, 2 were discolored. So I cleaned it, and replaced the leds with 3 new bright white leds.

So far so good. So when I did a test run, all three leds worked and I thought that was it. But after 15 seconds or so, all leds shut down. If I switch off power and switch it back on, everything works again for 15 seconds... And switches off again...

So I suspect there is some protection circuitry. I read on the FAQ on their website that there is some protection:

"A. The Intex LED pool wall light has a protection feature in case the wall thickness exceeds 1mm (0.04in). Bringing the two modules together very slowly simulate a wall thickness that is greater than 1mm (0.04in) thus triggering the protection mechanism, hence no current to the LED light. To reset the protection mechanism, disconnect the device from the main outlet and re-plug after 5 to 10 sec."

I didn't see any resistors originally, but played around with various values for limiting resistors, but nothing seems to work... Nothing that beats the protection....

I measure 14 volts across the three leds.

Any ideas or experience??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-14, 08:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Moved to Electrical Forum.

Old 10-17-14, 03:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Does this light work via direct wiring or via induction? If via induction, the transformer may be at fault. No experience with this particular product, just general information.

Old 10-17-14, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
Old 10-17-14, 09:43 PM
M
Correct, induction.

So there three pieces.
1. The transformer
2. The outside the pool magnet
3. The inside the pool light

The thing is, it looks like a controlled shutdown. After switching off the transformer, and switching it back on, the light works again.

I have also tested with the same transformer and the same outside the pool magnet with a different light inside the pool. This worked flawlessly, which makes me think the problem is in the light.

Old 10-17-14, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
That "goo" inside the light was probably heatsinking gel to carry the heat generated by the LED's to the water. Usually it's a type of silicone gel. Not sure where to get it.

Old 10-17-14, 10:00 PM
M
It didn't look like heat sink paste... I have that stuff at home.
The goo looked like capacitor fluid (brown/rust color), and was spread all over the inside, like it exploded.

Do you think there was a cap in there? Edit: that's of course nonsense... I would have seen its remains! There could be indeed a cooling issue, but I wouldn't understand how it would shut itself down as I didn't see any sensing-type electronics..... Any way to test?