2 Pole Breaker to 2 Singles

Old 10-18-14, 12:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Pole Breaker to 2 Singles

I had two inspections for the wiring of a new shop and walked away with an "okay close it up" from the first and a corrections notice from the second for something that did not change. I hope I can get some help here.

The main panel feeds a subpanel on a detached building. The wire is 6 awg. The breaker in the main panel is a two pole ganged 50A breaker which feeds 2 independent 20A tandem single pole breakers at the subpanel (1 hot to each breaker). The second inspector wants me to replace the two pole ganged breaker at the main panel with 2 single pole breakers. He told me you cannot have the 240V at the main split to 120V at the subpanel.

Is the requested configuration correct? I know it will function but I am concerned someone in the future might not recognize you have to turn off 2 breakers to power off the subpanel.

Old 10-18-14, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Your inspector might want to consider a different career. The main breaker in your house is a two pole breaker and the branch circuits for the lights and receptacles are all single poles. A sub panel is no different.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: