electric out in one corner of the house

Old 10-18-14, 12:34 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric out in one corner of the house

sorry if this ends up being a dumb question, but I'm not very versed in these things. As the title states in my 3 story town home on the top floor, one corner of the house just does not have power. There is a bedroom and a bathroom and a walk-in closet that don't have power. One of the breakers in the box is flipped to the middle and if i try to re set it it flips back to the middle. There is almost nothing in the rooms currently and nothing even plugged in except for a light. Also if it helps there is a second bathroom upstairs that the outlet does not work in but that has been broken for longer then the room.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-14, 12:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
One of the breakers in the box is flipped to the middle and if i try to re set it it flips back to the middle.
Did you turn it all the way off before trying to reset it?

Old 10-18-14, 08:09 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check that breaker, if it's still not working then start looking for a tripped GFI outlet.
Been running electric space heaters in those rooms?

Old 10-18-14, 08:29 PM
M
Assuming a Ray's idea doesn't help the next thing I would do would be to think about if any work has been done in your home. Were any pictures hung, etc.? It doesn't sound like it's a GFCI issue because the breaker also tripped.

Unless something was done or changed anything less would be to unplug everything associated with the circuit and try to reset the breaker. If that doesn't help then you need to start opening up each box that is affected (with the power off) and check to make sure that all the wires are attached firmly. If they are connected using the stab connections on the back of the receptacles and switches I would reconnect them under the screws while checking them.

Old 10-19-14, 11:06 AM
P
Connect a lamp-socket is "series" with the affected circuit; one socket lead to the breaker terminal, and the other lead to the conductor that was on the CB terminal.

If the socket-lamp is illuminated it means either -- there are loads still connected , so remove all cord-plugs from the receptacles and all lamps from fixtures--- or there is a Ground-fault on the conductor which will prevent the closure of the CB. A Ground-fault requires a successive inspection of each outlet-box.

DO NOT inspect a outlet-box with the lamp still in the circuit; un-thread the lamp , "open" the outlet-box, inspect the wiring , and restore the lamp. When the lamp is no longer illuminated , the circuit is now "clear" and you can restore the normal CB connection.