new light Arc fault tripping

Old 10-19-14, 02:47 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new light Arc fault tripping

I don't know if this is the best forum for this or not since it has both lights and power issues.

I installed a new track light system in the place of a 100 watt normal bulb. The track system is 5- 20 watt 12v lights.

If I turn on all the lights on that circuit and then the new light its all ok. If I then turn off a different light on that same circuit he arc fault trips. Also if I turn on the new light first and try to turn on other lights it will also trip after a few lights are turned on. It is random the number of light and what lights added to the circuit will trip if I have the new track light on.

I like the track lights but how do I fix this?

Old 10-19-14, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
Is this a two pole or single pole breaker? Can you confirm they are all on the same circuit? Can you turn on and off all the other lights (other then the track) and the breaker does not trip?

Old 10-20-14, 06:11 AM
R
Its a single pole and yes if the new light is off I can turn the other lights all on or off in any order and have no trips. Ideas? Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-20-14, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Sounds like you have narrowed this down to a problem in the new wiring.

Old 10-20-14, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
I agree, check to see if you have any grounds touching a neutral connection. That will trip a AFCI right away. Then maybe try another light. Perhaps you have one with an issue in the transformer.

Old 10-26-14, 10:49 AM
R
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
I agree, check to see if you have any grounds touching a neutral connection. That will trip a AFCI right away. Then maybe try another light. Perhaps you have one with an issue in the transformer.
I dont think its a wire touching ground issue since it will stay on if I dont mess with other lights. If it was everytime I switched it on it would trip at least thats my understanding.

Old 10-27-14, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
In my experience an AFCI can hold with only a minor load on the circuit, once you pass the threshold it will trip.

Example:
Wired up a circuit, turned it on and breaker would hold. Test with my receptacle tester or meter, breaker would hold. Try to run a shop vac, breaker would trip. Found there was a short between neutral and ground from a nail installed by the HVAC guy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: