Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

One outlet and ceiling fan go out, have to reset the breaker to get them working

One outlet and ceiling fan go out, have to reset the breaker to get them working

Old 10-21-14, 07:37 PM

Hi all,

New here and couldn't find my problem already posted so I figured I would ask for advice. I am having an issue where one outlet in my master bedroom will no longer supply power and our ceiling fan no longer turns on. After I reset the breaker for the room, the outlet and fan in question are working again. At some point in the day, the outlet and fan will again not work and I have to reset the breaker. My wife and I noticed this when we go to bed and plug our phones in to be charged. It's actually become a nightly routine to reset the breaker before bed. I assume the fan and outlet are on the same circuit.

The thing is, the breaker doesn't trip and the rest of my outlets in this room work daily. The other issue is that our fan doesn't go above the low setting, so I assumed the motor in there is broken, but now I'm wondering if it's related to this electrical issue.

Any one have any ideas on what's happening and what I can do to fix it myself? We just purchased this home and I would like to try and fix what I can before I have to call an electrician in on this one.

Thanks for reading and helping me out.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-14, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
When you intentionally turn the breaker off does both the fan and receptacle go dead? If so you know they are both on the same breaker. While the breaker is off determine what other lights and receptacles are on the breaker.

As a test I'd swap the wire on that breaker with the wire on another breaker of the same amperage and see if you have the same problem.