Taking Appliances out of service

Old 10-22-14, 01:14 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Taking Appliances out of service

You guys were so helpful with my last question (a huge thank you) I hope I don't wear out my welcome with another question.

Next spring we are replacing all of the Kitchen cabinets with new ones. At present there is a garbage disposal under the sink and there is a dishwasher next to the sink. We are not going to have either appliance in our new kitchen per the wife. (Happy wife, Happy life). My question: Since I can't get the wiring out of the walls without tearing out drywall (which I am not going to do) do I wire nut all the ends of the wires and put them in a box with a cover plate? The next owners may decide they want a dishwasher so I plan to leave the plumbing and the wiring. The dishwasher has its own dedicated breaker, which I will turn off and tape. The garbage disposal is on a shared line along with some outlets above the kitchen counter so the wire running to the garbage disposal will remain hot. Again, I do not plan to remove the drywall to remove the wires to the disposal. I just want to make sure everything is to code. My area is Northwestern Pennsylvania.

Appreciate your input.

Old 10-22-14, 01:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
No dishwasher?

You're aware this could affect resale value on your home, right?

Old 10-22-14, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The disposal should not be on the circuit with the small appliance receptacles so I would remove it from the source box.

The other cable can be capped in an accessible junction box.

Last edited by pcboss; 10-22-14 at 02:12 PM. Reason: corrected appliance
Old 10-22-14, 01:46 PM
D
The DW is on it's own circuit. I will remove the wires from the breaker box. Thank you.

The Garbage Disposal has outlets in the kitchen on a shared circuit. I will wire nut them and tape them inside a capped junction box. Again, thank you.

I realize that most people want a dishwasher. My wife hates them. I plan to leave the wires and plumbing in place. That way if the next owner wants a dishwasher the electrical and plumbing are already in place. I plan to have a cabinet door with pull out drawers where the current dishwasher is located. By doing so it is an easy transformation to remove the door and drawers and install a dishwasher.

Old 10-22-14, 01:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
OK, I'm sure I'll be sorry I did but I have to go there - what's her beef with dishwashers?

Old 10-22-14, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
Make sure the cabinet next to the sink is 24" for ease of installing a dishwasher. To each their own.

Old 10-22-14, 08:47 PM
I just want to add a few notes.
While in the planning stages, do as Tolyn said, choose a cabinet 24" wide to replace dishwasher.
You don't have to make it easy to convert back, anyone coming ahead of you will know the space was intended for a dishwasher, and will know how to remove cabinet cleanly.
But, the new cabinets may have nice backs that you don't want to mess up. You need to cut openings in back panels to reveal junction boxes where you terminated DW line and Disposer line.
Post back if you need tips on how best to do this cleanly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: