Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Bathroom Question - 20 Amp circuit for receptacle, 15 Amp circuit for light/fan?

Bathroom Question - 20 Amp circuit for receptacle, 15 Amp circuit for light/fan?

Old 10-22-14, 06:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are finishing our basement in our house and the previous bathroom remodel was done with a 15 Amp circuit (14 AWG wire). Since I'm re-wiring everything else (and have permits) I wanted to bring the bathroom up to code. Currently there is a light, a fan, and one receptacle outlet.

Could I just re-wire the receptacle as a dedicated 20 Amp circuit (12 AWG) and leave the light and fan on the 15 Amp circuit? In theory this should be plenty of power but wanted to know if that would be code compliant (NEC).

Secondary question... if this is okay to do, would both circuits 20 Amp and 15 Amp need to both be GFCI or just the 20 Amp?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have!!

Old 10-22-14, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Upvotes on 172 Posts
You can leave the fan and lights on the 15 amp circuit and just install the 20 for the receptacle.

Only the receptacle needs GFI protection unless the fan is over the footprint of the tub or shower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: