Voltage on switch feeder wire when off, none when on?

Old 10-23-14, 06:14 PM
Voltage on switch feeder wire when off, none when on?

Name:  BEHIND THE WALL_2.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  33.2 KB

So I have a strange problem. This house has been nothing but nightmares with electrical. Wire splices in walls, two wires under one receptacle screw, metal boxes grounded by wrapping wire around bottom outlet screw.... etc.... anyways, basically nothing is off limits.

So.... using my non-contact voltage detector, when the switch that powers the stove vent hood (closest box to doorway) is switched on I get no voltage on the wire. When I turn the switch (and therefor the hood) off, I get voltage. I cannot figure out why. The box between the hood and the switch is feeding the hood and the switch is after the hood. I cannot take it out and open any cans of worms as I am having a party tomorrow, but any ideas or things I should check? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-14, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
So.... using my non-contact voltage detector, when the switch that powers the stove vent hood (closest box to doorway) is switched on I get no voltage on the wire
Non contact testers are not for real testing. They are a quick double check to see if a line seems to be live but they don't tell you for sure because things other than significant voltage can cause them to go off. Voltage testing should be done with a multimeter, preferably analog. All you need is a cheap one, $8-$15.

Old 10-23-14, 07:24 PM
So.... using my non-contact voltage detector, when the switch that powers the stove vent hood (closest box to doorway) is switched on I get no voltage on the wire. When I turn the switch (and therefor the hood) off, I get voltage. I cannot figure out why.
It sounds like the neutral could be switched instead of the hot wire.