Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outdoor low voltage lighting suddenly dims as the run goes on

Old 10-24-14, 08:50 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just bought a house that had pre-installed outdoor lighting (it's all pretty old). The control boxes in the garage are made by Malibu and have the rotary dials on them. Everything seemed to be working fine and the bulbs were evenly and brightly lit down the driveway. Now, they are nice and bright for the first half of the run and then start getting dimmer as you go along. By 3/4 of the way you can barely see them but they are still lit. I did use a leaf blower along the driveway the other day to blow out the rock beds where the lights are located, is it possible that had some impact on this? And what is the most likely situation? A problem just at the first junction where I see it get dimmer, or would it have to be a problem at each and every light from there on if they are getting progressively more dim?

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 10-24-14, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
Usually the lights will get immediately dimmer when you pass a corroded connection. If they get progressively dimmer then that would suggest multiple corroded connections. A voltmeter would be the only real way to check the system out.

Are these standard incandescent bulbs or LED's ?

Old 10-24-14, 10:08 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They are incandescent. I'll check with the voltmeter. Just bizarre how it happened pretty much overnight. The leaf blowing is the only thing that I can think of that happened around that time. Just wondering if somehow that loosened several of the connections or something. I'll look at it some more, thanks!

Old 10-24-14, 10:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
It does appear to be a strange problem.

Here is another thought that just occurred to me.... if you had a short at the very end of the line it could cause the same problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: