Power For Water Heater and Dryer

Old 10-11-14, 09:04 AM
Power For Water Heater and Dryer

I have a wiring question, I have a 3 wire 240 volt coming to the laundry room, I have a 2 wire water heater , red and black the wire coming to the room is a red , black and white. what 2 wires do i use. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-14, 09:52 AM
I have a 2 wire water heater , red and black the wire coming to the room is a red , black and white. what 2 wires do i use.
IF YOU HAVE CONDUIT BACK TO THE PANEL, you would use the black and red conductors and the conduit is the ground. IF YOU HAVE A 3-WIRE CABLE WITH NO GROUND, run a new 2-wire cable with ground.

Assuming your new water heater is a 4500 watt model, the conductors need to be #10. The breaker or fuses can be either 25 or 30 amp.

Old 10-13-14, 09:33 AM
There is only one wire going to the room for the dryer and water heater

Is there a automatic switch i can use to run a dryer and water heater off of the same wire

Old 10-26-14, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
There is only one wire going to the room for the dryer and water heater
I doubt you have a wire, that would be a single conductor and everything needs at least two wires to work. You should have either a cable, two or more wires in a metallic or non metallic sheath, or conduit with two or more wires. You need a dedicated circuit for each.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-26-14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Post separated from a non related thread in Plumbing and moved to Electrical.

Old 10-26-14, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There's really no way to do what you need to do with what you have. Your water heater and dryer should each have its own wire back to the main panel and its own breaker. You water heater needs a 10/2 w/ground cable and your dryer 10/3 w/ground.

In theory, you could get a 30A DPDT switch to switch between the two appliances, but I'm not entirely certain that would be code compliant. The two hots (black/red) would be switched. The ground would be connected to both appliances and the neutral (white) connected only to the dryer (and not to the switch).

Old 10-26-14, 06:51 PM
I have a 3 wire 240 volt coming to the laundry room, I have a 2 wire water heater , red and black the wire coming to the room is a red , black and white. what 2 wires do i use.
No where in the thread do you mention having a EGC (ground conductor), just the three #10 wires; 1 Blk, 1 Wht and 1 Red. Assuming this is a 10-3 plain NM cable, you really shouldn't attempt to use this circuit for either a dryer or a water heater as both require a ground wire.