Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Mysterious power loss (and more mysterious power restored)

Old 10-26-14, 12:22 PM

A couple of times over the past several months, at least two unconnected (so far as I can see, anyway) circuits lose power simultaneously, though several other circuits in the house stay on. The breakers haven't tripped, switching the breakers for those circuits off and on doesn't have any effect when they've lost power, and when the power's back on turning off either breaker turns off different parts of the house without overlap, so they do, in fact, look like they're separate. What I've discovered is that if I turn on the dryer, which is on a completely different circuit, the circuits which have shut down come back on immediately and will stay on for anything from hours to over a month. Any suggestions what I should look at to troubleshoot the issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-14, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You have lost or are losing one leg of your 240v service. The problem could be anywhere from the pole to your main breaker.

Many people have a test or voltmeter and check their incoming service at the panel for problems. If you don't have a meter your next step should be to call an electrician or call the power company's emergency number and tell them that you are losing one half of your service. They will usually send a truck out quickly.

If the problem is in your panel or the meter pan.... you will have to get the problem fixed. They only supply power to the house.

Turning the dryer one bridges the two 120v legs and the dead circuits become live. The dryer may come on but it won't heat. Your range/oven won't work either if electric.

Old 10-26-14, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
I've discovered is that if I turn on the dryer, which is on a completely different circuit, the circuits which have shut down come back on immediately
Are both breakers on the same 240 volt leg? If not sure tell us the breaker numbers of the two problem breakers and make of breaker panel.

Old 10-27-14, 10:28 AM
The utility guys came out and messed around with the wire to the house, so I'm hoping that's fixed it. And if not, I'll know what to look to next. Thanks, everyone1