Accidentally touched exposed electrical box wire

Old 10-26-14, 08:33 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Accidentally touched exposed electrical box wire

Hello,

My house is currently under construction and I went out today to purchase a range hood to fit over the oven between two cabinets. I took it out of the box to make sure it fits and placed it over the oven. The good news is that it fit, the bad news is that there was an open electrical box that I had not noticed and the copper(ground?) wire touched the range hood(stainless steel) and cause a bit of a spark followed by 2 lighting fixtures going off. The electrical outlets still work. I flipped all of the breakers off and back on but the lights will not turn on. On the breaker panel one of the breakers does not turn on fully, it shows red through the window and is a bit loose, though not fully in the middle. The first time I switched it off and back on it produced a spark. I tried replacing the fixture bulbs, no luck. What should I do?

Old 10-26-14, 08:40 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Call the contractor first thing in the morning. Meantime leave the breaker in the off position.

Old 10-26-14, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,973 Upvotes on 3,566 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

With many breakers you have to push them fully to off and then turn back on to reset them.
If it won't stay set and it keeps tripping.....STOP.... don't keep trying it. You may have caused a short inside that box you hit with the hood. Have the electrician check it out.

Old 10-27-14, 04:48 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
one of the breakers does not turn on fully, it shows red through the window and is a bit loose, though not fully in the middle. The first time I switched it off and back on it produced a spark.
The breaker is tripped and won't reset, call your contractor.

Old 10-27-14, 06:29 AM
Received 725 Upvotes on 641 Posts
Clearly a reason to double check any exposed wires if live or dead. Shame of contractor for leaving a live box open and wire ends not capped off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: