Electric Sauna problem

Old 10-27-14, 07:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric Sauna problem

Hello, thanks for letting me post this problem i have been having with my electric sauna. My sauna was working fine until my son poured too much water on the rocks/elements and it tripped the GFCI. I reset it but it it kept kicking out every time it reached the set temp on the thermostat. So i replaced the GFCI for a new one...Still kicks out after the desired temperature is reached. So i changed the actual sauna (whole unit) Same thing happens, GFCI kicking out (fuses in main box are fine) So i go buy a new thermostat (just the switch and copper wire sensor) And still the same kicking out at the GFCI box. I have tried starting the sauna up with everything completely dry, i set the thermostat about a quarter of the way watch the element get good and hot, then when it reaches the set tempreture it kicks the GFCI...... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-27-14, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This is a 240vac unit ?

I'm not exactly sure what you've replaced but I have a feeling it's the heating element. The heating element glows bright orange and pouring too much water on it can cause it to split open.

I would inspect the element for any splits or cracks. You may need a bright light and a magnifying glass.

Old 10-29-14, 03:06 PM
J
Thanks PJmax. I will go over the element tonight. It is not the same one that had the water poured on it, however it is a used one. If the element is cracked would it still heat up before kicking the GFCI out?

Old 10-29-14, 03:13 PM
J
Oh yeah, it's a saunamatic 240vac

Old 10-29-14, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
One of the legs of the 240v line needs to touch or leak to ground to trip the GFI. You said it doesn't trip the breaker so that means you have a local spa type panel with a two pole GFI breaker in it ?

Is there a model number on that saunamatic ?

Old 10-29-14, 08:46 PM
J
Yes its model #CSS-5...So i have the whole sauna unit disconnected, the wires are exposed but obviously not touching anything. I will turn the power back on, turn on the thermostat and see if it still kicks out the GFCI. If it still kicks out, i will know the problem isn't the sauna unit, but something that will need a skilled electrician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: