Electrical Issue

Old 10-27-14, 07:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical Issue

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I have an issue that is concerning me. Over the past couple weeks, we have noticed that occasionally when we turn a light on in a bedroom, we lose power to that portion of the house (one bedroom, den, bathroom). What we found by accident is that if we insert a child cover into one particular outlet in the bathroom, it restores the power to that portion of the house. We have somebody coming out to the house to check on this hopefully in the next day or so, but in the meantime, I was curious as to if there were any thoughts on what the cause could be, and secondly, are we asking for a fire with the child cover in the outlet? Thanks!

Old 10-27-14, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,972 Upvotes on 3,565 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like the wiring connecting to that receptacle utilized the back stab connections on the rear. These connections are notorious for causing intermittent connections. By putting in that safety cap... you probably pressed the receptacle prongs back against the wires.

Fire.... not likely... but have it looked at or replace the receptacle quickly.

You could actually fix it yourself. Turn the power off and pull the receptacle out without removing the wires. One wire may just fall out. You can move the wires to the side screws or replace the receptacle and then use the side screws.

Old 10-27-14, 07:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I will give that a try tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: