possible to wire 2 outlets off one?

Old 10-28-14, 08:14 AM
possible to wire 2 outlets off one?

I'll add a picture but word wise...
I have 20 amp circuit leading to a kitchen outlet (GFCI) behind a kitchen cabinet( totally accessible)

I'd like to add an first outlet to the left then add a 2nd outlet on the right side of the originall about 4 feet away to

Should I simply connect from the original outlet to the first new outlet then connect to the outlet on the right?

Or is it possible to connect from the the original outlet to the outlet on the left
then connect from the origial outlet to the outlet on the right . The original outlet will be the center of the "split"

Somethign tells me the "split " idea is not the best way.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  11.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-14, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
The split idea may not be code because of box fill. Do you already have two cables in the box? Adding a deeper box or a two gang box might work. Box Fill.

Old 10-28-14, 08:53 AM
that was my concern regardign box fill.. the original outlet is accessible but... not so much where I could rip it out easily and put a new one in. It'd be easier for me to simple daisychain it.

I only have one wire going into it right now

Old 10-28-14, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Normally to remove a box you just cut the nails holding it to the studs, no ripping involved. How were you going to get the new cable in? Normally you remove the box to run the cable then install an old work box.
I only have one wire going into it right now
Terminology: Wire is a single conductor. You have a cable, two or more wires in a metallic or non metallic sheath.