Buzzing Breaker

Old 03-20-01, 01:38 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm trying to understand why one of the breakers in my service panel is always buzzing. Is this a problem I need to address? The circuit never trips, it just the buzzing and it's only the one breaker because when I flip it off the buzzing stops. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-01, 02:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I personally don't like the idea of buzzing breakers, check to make sure that the breaker is firmly in place and that the black circuit wire is tightly screwed into the connection on the breaker. You of course will half to open the cover of the electrical panel which poses its on dangers,- breaker off use an inulated handle screwdriver when checking that the screw is firmly tightened on the circuit wire. If the breaker still buzzes after checking that the breaker is firmly mounted and the circuit wire is properly and firmly connected, I would recommend replacing the breaker, as long as you know for sure the buzzing is emiting from the one breaker.

Old 03-20-01, 07:56 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I'm not too sure I wouldn't move that circuit wire off that breaker and switch it with an existing breaker lower in the panel. Then move that other circuit wire up to the one that was buzzing. This would tell us if the buzzing stayed there, moved down to the other breaker, or disappeared. May just be a frequency vibration, but may be a problem with the breaker or circuit. This should tell us more info. on the subject.

Get back to us and tell us what you find.

Curious

Wg