wiring set up

Old 03-20-01, 02:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

i just bought a house, the attic does not have sheetrock or anything, it's just plain wood, and i would like to set up all the wiring in the attic without making any damage to the first or second floor wiring.
the attic has only one estention light, what should i do?

Old 03-20-01, 02:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"the attic has only one estention light"
How is this extension light hooked up, is it a mounted electrical box with light socket and perhaps a pull string switch, give me more details on the one light you mentioned that is already there. What is your indended use of the attic, and what is yoru intended wiring needs as far as plugs and lights.

Old 03-21-01, 02:26 AM
Visiting Guest
I WANT TO MAKE ANOTHER APARTMENT IN THE ATTIC
AND I WANT TO INSTALL ALL THE WIRING, HOW SHOULD I START?

Old 03-21-01, 04:24 AM
D
An apartment that is self contained, like kitchen/bathroom, or an apartment like is a couple of rooms, with shared bathroom and kitchen located in other parts of the house ?
Is the floor of the attic covered yet ?, or just exposed joists with insulation ?

Have to investigated building codes for this project yet ? What kind of excess to this area, stairs ?, windows ?, fire codes require 2 possible exits, is an external staircase required with a bedroom in that location ? Size and spacing of attic joists suficient to carry th eload of it being converted to living space ?

How many rooms up there and there purpose ? I can't answer your building code requiremnets however there is forums on here that can, I can help with electrical, but I really need to know layout, and requirements. And you need to know more about about the one light that you say is there as I asked in my previous post.

These questions must be answered before the electrical question can be dealt with.

Old 03-21-01, 12:31 PM
Visiting Guest
the light in the attic can be turned on/off from the second floor, the floor in the attic does not have insulation neither the celing.
i want to make at least two bedrooms and a small kitchen with a small bathroom, the attic has wood floor.

Old 03-21-01, 12:53 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
I'd start by installing a 100A subpanel up there.
If it will be a wholly separate living space, you
may consider a separate service for it.

Old 03-21-01, 01:12 PM
D
I sub panel does have an advantage in that the tenents can reset their own breakers without bothering anyone else.

And there are a few circuits needed including a 220v circuit for the stove.

Old 03-21-01, 03:36 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Sorry, if you are setting up an apartment, the NEC requires that the service supplying power to that apartment be accessible always to the tenant. Also unless you have a 2 hour fire separation approved by the building code and the NEC then you are not allowed more than one service to that structure. If you put a two meter system on the structure then the mains would have to be grouped, from the same power riser, and accessible by both tenants. If you have wiring laying across the ceiling joists then you will have to address recessing those wires yet not violating the lumber spanning specs of the Building Code. You must have smoke detector system throughout the building unless the two living quarters are legally separated by the 2 hour fire walls. You will have to have the minimum rooms and square footage required for a living area for a dwellng, meet the minimum wiring of a dwelling also.

Hope this helps

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: