Help with wiring on new switches

Old 11-01-14, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring on new switches

So, we decided to replace every plug and switch in the house with new white ones. It's looking good so far. All we do is pull the old switch or plug off, note where the wires are, then hook the new one back up the same exact way. Easy peasy. But, now we got to a wall in the living room that has 4 switches on it. I did the same thing, noted where all the wires are, and replaced each switch one by one. But now, they aren't working as expected. S3 doesn't seem to do anything. S4 and S1 are interacting oddly. And S2 only works when the other two light switches are in certain positions. So, I guess I didn't hook everything back up correctly, but I could of swore I did.
To note, the gray wire (D) is actually black, but I colored it different to note it is a separate piece of wire acting as a jumper between S2, S3, and S4. I'm not sure wires A and C are continuous as they run into the walls, but I did get continuity between them. One other clue that may help.... if I unplug wire D from 5, the kitchen lights go out. Anyone have any ideas? Let me know if I can answer any questions. Thanks in advance!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41051[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-14, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When using three way switches..... there is no "side" or order of the wires. There are two screws that are usually brass and one screw is usually dark and sometimes black. The dark colored screw is called the common screw. What came off the common screw MUST go back on the common screw regardless of location around the switch. The two brass screws are interchangeable.

You are showing 2) three ways switches for fan and fan light. That would not be correct.
Maybe S4 is mislabeled in your diagram ?

Old 11-01-14, 04:54 PM
Thanks PJmax!

I just verified that what was the common screw is wired up the same way on the new switches. On both the old switches, and the new ones, the common screw is a single screw on the bottom of the switch, and the top two screws are brass.

Old 11-01-14, 05:18 PM
I'm wondering if maybe I got 10 and 11 mixed up. Since 2 and 9 are connected, shouldn't 1 and 10 be connected?

Old 11-01-14, 05:58 PM
I just realized I had S3 and S4 labeled wrong. S3 is for the fan, S4 is for the light.

Updated:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41054[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 11-01-14, 06:06 PM
Yep, I had 10 and 11 mixed up. I switched those two, and everything is working correctly now.

Old 11-01-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
Excellent news... good job. That's some complicated wiring there.