Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What brand replacement breaker to I need for Old Westinghouse: AFCI?

Old 11-02-14, 08:22 AM

I have an old (late 80's vintage) 200 amp panel, Westinghouse B40-40 BFN, BSN.

I understand WH was bought by Cutler Hammer. The panel is currently populated with Bryant Type BR120 Single Poles.

I'm looking for what type/brand/model 20A breaker to put in this box that will provide AFCI protection. I've thought about just getting every one HD carries and see what one fits. On that note, local electric supply has no clue what breaker to put in there...this is a pretty rural area and they don't do a lot of business....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-14, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
The pros will be along with a better answer on what breaker but plan B if none is available would be to mount a blank face a AFCI next to the panel and feed your circuit from that. Example: Blank Face AFCIs

Old 11-02-14, 01:49 PM
For and old Westinghouse panel the correct AFCI breaker would be an Eaton/Cutler-Hammer BR series. I am surprised the local electric supply doesn't know. Don't go with one that just fits, many of them will fit, but just because it fits doesn't make it right.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292485-82364...ductId=3648368