Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What brand replacement breaker to I need for Old Westinghouse: AFCI?

What brand replacement breaker to I need for Old Westinghouse: AFCI?


Old 11-02-14, 07:22 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What brand replacement breaker to I need for Old Westinghouse: AFCI?

I have an old (late 80's vintage) 200 amp panel, Westinghouse B40-40 BFN, BSN.

I understand WH was bought by Cutler Hammer. The panel is currently populated with Bryant Type BR120 Single Poles.

I'm looking for what type/brand/model 20A breaker to put in this box that will provide AFCI protection. I've thought about just getting every one HD carries and see what one fits. On that note, local electric supply has no clue what breaker to put in there...this is a pretty rural area and they don't do a lot of business....
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-14, 08:02 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The pros will be along with a better answer on what breaker but plan B if none is available would be to mount a blank face a AFCI next to the panel and feed your circuit from that. Example: Blank Face AFCIs
Old 11-02-14, 12:49 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 10,638
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
For and old Westinghouse panel the correct AFCI breaker would be an Eaton/Cutler-Hammer BR series. I am surprised the local electric supply doesn't know. Don't go with one that just fits, many of them will fit, but just because it fits doesn't make it right.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: