Outlet stopped working after light fixture "upgrade"

Old 11-03-14, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlet stopped working after light fixture "upgrade"

The title says it all. I tried to monkey around with a hallway light. The light works - but two outlets (on the same circuit) - don't. Here's what I did.

From watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCR8EKHAXIQ
I got the idea to do the same thing to my hallway light (ballast died and I REALLY hated those round lightbulbs).

Everything went mostly well - I removed the light fixture (ended up removing it completely), was pretty sure I noted which wire was black/white. When I went to wire it back in - WTF - there's a 2nd white wire sitting in the box in the ceiling. Not remembering which of the white wires things were connected to (or where the 2nd white wire came from) - I hooked things up choosing a white wire at random and nothing worked when I turned the circuit back on. I then switched the light fixture to the 2nd white wire - and the light bulbs lit up!

Good deal, right? Except now the two electrical outlets on the same circuit don't work. Here's the funny thing though - when I bring contactless voltmeter near these outlets - it shows that there's voltage in there, but things (a lamp, for example) don't work when I plug them in.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-14, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You've got an easy problem to fix..... combine those two white wires at the ceiling light to restore neutral to the receptacles.

Old 11-04-14, 07:46 AM
Cool! So - the two white wires go together with the white wire from the light into the same "wire nut"?

I'll give it a go tonight! Thank you!

Old 11-04-14, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
Yes..... that would be correct.

Old 11-04-14, 08:32 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Here's the funny thing though - when I bring contactless voltmeter near these outlets - it shows that there's voltage in there, but things (a lamp, for example) don't work when I plug them in.
Once again, a non-contact tester isn't much use in troubleshooting, it doesn't tell you when you have lost the neutral.

Old 11-09-14, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys. I did what you suggested and now the light works and all the outlets work!

Old 11-09-14, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Good job Thanks for the update.