Adding to existing circuit

Old 11-07-14, 12:59 AM
Adding to existing circuit

I'm re-doing a bathroom in our house, which was built in the 50's. Some of the wiring has been updated and the rest is the old two wire.

I added a double gang in the bathroom that will contain a gfci and eventually a switch for a bath fan, one does not currently exist. I ran some 12/2 down into the basement. There are a couple near by junction boxes, two of which appear to have 10ga wire running to them. The AC unit (30 amp) is the main appliance on the circuit, however there is also an outlet that branches off and is used for the water softener.

My question is am I OK hooking up to the box with the 10ga coming in? Or, am I better off looking for another box or installing one and running it all the way to the panel?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-14, 01:32 AM
By code, bathroom receptacle circuits are dedicated. You may not have any other items, other than a second bathroom, on the circuit. Not knowing what the circuit with the #10 conductors served I cannot advise you on that question. Best to run a new circuit from the panel to the bathroom.

Old 11-07-14, 11:50 AM
Sounds like your willing to add more code violations to a few you already mentioned.

Old 11-07-14, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A/C is typically 240 volts and does not have a neutral.

General purpose receptacles cannot be on circuits greater than 20 amps.

You need to run a new 20 amp circuit.

Old 11-08-14, 01:36 AM
Take the new bathroom circuit to your loadcenter , add another circuit breaker and be done with it . If your loadcenter is already full , then that is another issue .

God bless
Wyr