Should a GFCI get warm/hot?

Old 11-09-14, 12:19 AM
Should a GFCI get warm/hot?

I have an older Leviton Smartlock in my apartment and one day I noticed the prongs of the cord I just unplugged were warm (The device that was plugged into the outlet was just a TV (LCD Flatscreen 140W MAX) and it was off for awhile (Yes I know they are never truly never off) I tested the face of the GFCI with an IR thermometer and I am getting 85 F is this a cause for concern or is this a normal thing with these outlets?

PS: This is a kitchen circuit but there was nothing else plugged into the other outlet that is wired off of the load side of this outlet

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-14, 07:04 AM
A device being warm could be from load near the capacity of the device or a loose connection under load. If the device feels warm to the touch, it is not 85 degrees and will be higher than body temperature. 85 degrees is no cause for serious alarm as far as I am concerned, but might be a reason to check the connections.

Old 11-09-14, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Might be the receptacle is loose and no longer gripping the plug prongs as tight as it should. Might be good preventive maintenance to replace the receptacle.

Old 11-09-14, 11:38 AM
GFCI's do get warm, but that's a relative term.

There are electronics in the unit, it's not a passive device like an ordinary receptacle. These electronics draw some power and it is dissipated as heat.

I noticed it when I first installed them. I can feel a difference between the plate and receptacle on mine. Even with no load on them.

Old 11-09-14, 05:14 PM
That could be true ray as it does not grip as tightly as it used to
What should I tell the cheapskate "maintenance" crew? As it will still work and supply power to the plugged in devices (One being a 1200W coffee pot and a 1350W toaster over that is on the outlet that is downstream on the load side, and both are never on at the same time)