Washer dryer combo unit wiring question

Old 11-09-14, 12:40 PM
Washer dryer combo unit wiring question

Was moving some breakers around in my panel, and actually disconnected the combo washer dryer unit (whirlpool thin twin) wire from its double pole 30a breaker few months ago. Today I went to hook things back up and realized the #8 wire has two insulated wires and one bare, which I believe was connected to the neutral bar before I disconnected. Curious I opened up the outlet in which the unit plugs in to. The plug and outlet are both three wire/three prong. Then I opened the wire panel on the unit, there is a yellow with black stripe, white, and red wires, which the three wires from the plug are attached. There is a green with yellow stripe wire connected to a screw in the cabinet, which runs into the inner workings of the machine, not sure where it goes. There is another screw (green) two inches to the right, which does not have a wire connected to it, but there is a note stamped into the metal that indicates this is a ground screw. There also is a note on the rear of the machine that says "this appliance is grounded through neutral conductor by means of a link to the cabinet".

I am not 100% sure this thing is grounded through the neutral at the cabinet, as described?? Does this sound right, does it sound like it is grounded? I know the modern method is to install a 4 wire line, but if the three wire is installed correctly is it ok? Is it safe? This unit has been installed in this manner for probably 20+ years....also, the grounds in the main electrical panel are connected to a lug, and the neutrals to a bar. The N bar and ground lug are not connected. The main shut off is in the meter room two floors down.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-14, 01:20 PM
More info...using my multimeter I confirmed there is continuity between the ground wire and neutral wire in the machine. Must be connected internally somewhere. My understanding is thus is the old school way of grounding three prong appliances

Old 11-09-14, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Is this NM (Romex) cable going to the receptacle. Is the appliance 120/240? 2-conductor (+ gnd) NM cable can only be used for a 240 feed. From what you write it is 120/240. Bare ground in NM can not be used as a combined neutral/ground. If it is SE cable (with braided ground) then it is probably code compliant for time of instalation.

Old 11-09-14, 02:28 PM
All wires are braided. Two are insulated, one is not

Old 11-09-14, 06:29 PM
The exterior covering is grey, then there is a layer of woven sleeve around all three conductors. All conductors are braided aluminum. Looks like type SE to me, but the wire is mostly buried in the wall, and the small section that is visible has been painted over....so can't confirm

Old 11-09-14, 07:21 PM
The main shut off is in the meter room two floors down.
Is this an apartment? .............

Old 11-10-14, 03:48 AM
70s vintage condos, most have not been updated

Old 11-10-14, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like SE cable, not NM.