Abandon Circuit Wire in Box?

Old 11-09-14, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Abandon Circuit Wire in Box?

I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen. The fridge and range hood were neither one on a dedicated circuits. It is my plan to install two new breakers and run new circuits to both appliances (the range hood will be replaced by an OTR microwave).

But I'm wondering what to do about the existing wiring. I really don't want to open the walls to remove wiring back to the panel. So what do I do with these unnecessary/unwanted wiring? Should I cap them off with wire nuts and leave them in the box?

P.S. I also wanted to ask about the dishwasher that I'm planning to put in (there has never been one so this is an addition). Would a dishwasher and fridge (or dishwasher and OTR microwave) overload a circuit if they're the only things on the circuit? I *think* the main issue of concern is that one or the other could create a surge. There are surge suppressor outlets available and I figured I'd put one on both appliances.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-14, 07:57 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You abandon in place by cutting to short to reuse on both ends and pushing the ends into the wall if possible.

Old 11-09-14, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
If the box has enough cubic inch capacity you can cap them in the back of the box.

The refrigerator can be on one of the 20 amp small appliance countertop circuits.