Convert from wall power to battery power

Old 03-16-15, 11:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Convert from wall power to battery power

Hello! I am planning on building something INSANE in the near future. I will be using a motor from a powerful fan that plugs into the wall. How can i convert the motor to run on a Battery instead of the Wall Power? Thanks! (I understand that the battery will have to be pretty powerful, i might even need to build a battery box)

Old 03-16-15, 11:56 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
An inverter would be used but better to use a DC motor.
I will be using a motor from a powerful fan that plugs into the wall.
The fan may be powerful but the motor may not be. Direct drive fans usually use low torque motors with very little power. What kind of fan and what are you building?

Old 03-16-15, 01:33 PM
OMG... Lol something crazy happened. I got impatient and just tried to figure this out on my own, it ended in Disaster xD. Okay so i cut off a wall wire of something, and then stripped it down. I discovered that there are 2 wires in most wall plugs. This is where it gets funny. I decided to plug it in and then stick those 2 wires up to the connection of a small motor. For whatever reason, this motor had a small circuit board attached. As soon as i touched those wires, BOOM! Something on the circuit board Exploded.

Well, at least i learned a few things.

And i now realize that the 2 prongs on a wall plug are the Posative and Negative connections. Allot simpler than i thought really, I know now how to convert a wall powered device into a battery powered device, and vice versa. And oh yeah, I understand what a transformer is and that allot of times i will need to use one when converting something from battery power into wall power.

Old 03-16-15, 01:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
STOP! You need to do some reading and a lot of learning before playing with electricity from a wall socket.

1. The two prongs in a US wall socket are NOT positive and negative.
2. A transformer really doesn't convert "wall power" to "battery power".

Old 03-16-15, 02:53 PM
1. Okay thank you i did not know that.
2. OBVIOUSLY thats not what a transformer does. Thats not what i was saying! I was saying that if i want to convert something that runs from batteries to a wall socket, i will need to use a transformer in most cases or else the power going to the device will be too much, causing it damage. I never said or implied that a transformer converts wall power to battery power

And as for being careful, DUH.
I would NEVER touch those two wires that come out of the wall plug. I wouldnt even dare touch one of them. I was holding the wire by the insulated part, not by the exposed wires.

Old 03-16-15, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Where are you located? Your profile is incomplete. Being impatient can result in very bad consequences.
I was holding the wire by the insulated part, not by the exposed wires
Regardless, you have apparently never experienced a flash over. Doing something you aren't sure of won't get you through high school. Please ask questions, wait for an answer and proceed with caution. We do this for a living and won't steer you wrong. We may not give you the answer you want, but you will live another day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: