Low Voltage Code Quesion

Old 11-14-14, 08:00 PM
Low Voltage Code Quesion

So I am getting ready to install some 12V led lighting for under cabinet lighting in my kitchen. My current plan is to run a new circuit from the breaker box over to the kitchen, run the 120AC to a switch in the kitchen and then run the switched AC up to a direct wire transformer on top of the cabinet. My plan is then to run the DC down through the wall and through the back of the cabinet to some screw terminals on the led strip lights.

What I'm wondering is are there any codes in violating with this plan. My biggest concern is actually the low voltage in the walls and the screw terminals. I'm pretty familiar with AC code but not so much with the low voltage DC stuff.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-14, 08:35 PM
I like your plan. Just be sure that the low voltage cable is approved to be run inside a closed wall.

Old 11-14-14, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
All low voltage wire in the walls must be class 2.

Old 11-15-14, 04:11 AM
Yep I would be 100% sure that the low voltage was rated for in wall. I'm assuming I should put some sort of strain relief on the cabinet where the low voltage wire comes out correct? Anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-16-14, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I find it's sometimes easier to just run the cable down in the space between the cabinets. That keeps the wiring outside of the wall and easily changeable in the future.

Old 11-16-14, 08:17 PM
Problem with that approach us that I've got to span a gap between cabinets. We have a vent hood that doesn't have cabinets above it, so something has to go in the wall.