Hot Tub tripping gfi breaker

Old 11-15-14, 03:47 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Tub tripping gfi breaker

Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...g-breaker.html

my tub started tripping the gfi so I tried with heater off ...still tripped so I disconnected water supply and drained it now it stays on... mmm so it's the pump I am thinking but what to look for mmmmmm ?? The gfi is so sensitive so it does not take much of a leak to cause it to trip ...

Last edited by ray2047; 11-15-14 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 04:11 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
5 miliamps will trip it.

Old 11-15-14, 04:23 PM
T
so if I take the pump apart I should check connections and make sure water is staying where it belongs.... the electrician at work said I could bypass the gfi for a few days to dry it out because its outside and maybe got damp and then try hooking gfi back up and try again... I can usually fix things myself before I pay the tub tech the big bucks ...he is the last option lol

Old 11-15-14, 04:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It may be the insulation on the windings breaking down. I'd replace the pump. Once it is failing it isn't safe to continue to use it.
the electrician at work said I could bypass the gfi for a few days to dry it out because its outside and maybe got damp and then try hooking gfi back up and try again
Bypassing a GFCI is never good advice.

Old 11-15-14, 04:36 PM
T
Yea I didn't think that advice was so great even if nobody was using it ... the pump is only 4 years old so I hope it isn't that as the last pump lasted over 20 years... but as u said it only take a little glitch to trip it... I will dry it out and check connections look for anything suspicious hook it all up and try again and see if that helps ....thanks for your thoughts

Old 11-15-14, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 629 Likes on 538 Posts
Any clamp on meter (ammeter) will tell you if the breaker is tripping on ground fault or overcurrent, which is all bypassing the GFCI will do. Bad advice indeed.

You may have a bad GFCI.

Old 11-15-14, 05:31 PM
Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
Before I started removing/disassembling the pump, I'd try disconnecting the pump wiring at the pump motor connection and then test the GFCI breaker. If it still trips, the problem isn't the pump. If it stops tripping, you know the problem is the pump motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: