Dead outdoor flood lights, need help

Old 11-16-14, 05:56 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dead outdoor flood lights, need help

Ok, to start off I'm no electrician. The other night I turned on my outdoor flood lights, they stayed on for about 30 seconds then went out.
My neighbor who knows some about house electrical (basic check and replace outlet kinda stuff) checked the lights and they have no power at all, but the switch has power to it and out from it.
He said there must be a break somewhere in the line.
How can I test the line to find a break. Can't really afford an electrician at the moment, but I'm worried about a break possibly starting a fire.
I know if there is power leaving the switch it has to be going somewhere.

Old 11-16-14, 07:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How did the neighbor check for power? If you used a non contact tester the results are meaningless.

Have you looked for and reset all GFCIs inside and outside the house including those hidden behind things that haven't been moved in years?

Tell us the wiring at the switch. Do you have two or more white wires connected only to each other and two black wires on the switch or do you have a black and white wire on the switch?

Old 11-16-14, 07:39 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 412 Upvotes on 367 Posts
As Ray mentioned, definitely look for a GFI receptacle. Also look around the lights as well as in other places outside to see if you might have a photocell sensor controlling them. Could be something that looks like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41805[/ATTACH] or will be a little box sticking out of one of your floodlight boxes. It will only turn on when it's dark out. (unless it doesn't work, they tend to fail after a few years I find).

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: