Advice Please! Spaghetti mess behind old light fixture.

Old 11-16-14, 08:48 PM
Advice Please! Spaghetti mess behind old light fixture.

I'm trying to replace an old light fixture and I've run into a mess. The fixture has an "always on" outlet that is likely contributing to the issue, but I can't wrap my head around how a single wire running from the switch turns into three pairs of cables at the outlet. Here are some photos, including behind the wall and a diagram of the wiring that I whipped up: http://imgur.com/a/DLBmB.

I was also going to install a combo switch where the outlet is, but I've discovered that I have what is called a "switchleg" and it looks like I will have to run standard service with a neutral wire to the switch box... something I'm tempted to do! Thanks for your feedback!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-14, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I've hijacked one of your pictures. I've added additional text to illustrate the circuit. The hot feed in is self explanatory. The "feed out" could be feeding anything beyond that room.

Name:  circuit.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  28.8 KB

If you want a receptacle by the switch you'd need to replace the two wire cable with a three wire cable. That receptacle, by code, needs to be a GFI receptacle. Technically that receptacle should also be on its own circuit.

Also... I noticed in your pictures that you are missing the metal backbox to that wall fixture. That metal backbox is a UL listed wiring area and keeps all the wiring enclosed in metal.

Old 11-16-14, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the kind welcome. I suppose using the three wire cable would require a neutral coming into the switch receptacle as well as the hot. The combo switch I have is also GFI. I will look into getting a back box as well to close off the fixture area... thanks for the feedback!

Old 11-16-14, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
With a three wire cable.... the black is hot to the receptacle and the switch, the white becomes the neutral for the receptacle and the red wire is the switched hot back to the light.

Old 11-16-14, 10:14 PM
Of course... just send the neutral back to the pigtailed bundle. Thanks!