Generator Question

Old 11-16-14, 07:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generator Question

I live in the philippines, everything here in 220v 60h...Our house is all 220v 20 amp breakers for the receptacles, and lights. And 30 amp for the AC's, dryer, etc....

All the generators sold here only use an output of 220v 30 amp & 110v 20amp...I need 220v 20amp...

Is it permissible to install a small two breaker panel, and put 2-20 amp breakers in there, then feed the generator into this from the 30amp outlet, then from the breaker panel to my outlets and lights. I just do not want to overload this old house with the generator's 30 amp outputs.

Or is there a better way?

Thanks,

RB in Cebu City

Old 11-16-14, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You currently have a breaker panel. How do you plan to get the circuits from that panel to a second one if you do install a smaller one ?

Ideally you'd like to connect the generator to your main panel. With this method you choose the circuits you want to run. A mechanical transfer switch would be ideal.

What size is your panel ?
Does it have a main breaker ?

A pictures would be a big help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 11-16-14, 08:36 PM
C
Hi PJmax,

Yes, in fact I have 2 boxes. We own a large building with several small businesses within. One of the tenants vacated so I hijacked the meter for my shop. So one meter feed my shop and some lights, the other is the main which feeds the rest of the house. It has a 100amp main breaker, the main panel.

My problem is I cannot run the generator near the breaker boxes, i will have to run it outside in an open balcony area about 50 feet away. So my intention was installing a small throw switch box with the 20 amp service which i will plug the generator in to, outside on the balcony, then an extension wire with male plug to connect to the bedroom receptacles...that's the way I did it in Baton Rouge during hurricane season when we were there, except I used my 220 dryer receptacle to power the bus.

I will shut off all the mains and other breakers, insert the extension into a receptacle, then turn on the appropriate circuit breaker.

These are my breaker panels. Don't have the generator yet, I wanted to check all this stuff out first, to make sure I can use it. Some reason the photos went side ways, hmmm.Name:  IMG_0127.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  27.4 KBName:  IMG_0126.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  25.3 KB

Thanks,

RB

Attached Images  
Old 11-16-14, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
I will shut off all the mains and other breakers, insert the extension into a receptacle, then turn on the appropriate circuit breaker.
That type of connection is not acceptable and is extremely hazardous.

Old 11-16-14, 09:02 PM
C
Yea, I took a chance with that back home.

So, what other options are there? Is there any other, other than a transfer switch? Not even sure if I can get one of those here, and if I did, how would I connect it 50 feet away. Am I allowed to make long runs of wire connecting this device, if so I will go for it...

Thanks

Old 11-16-14, 11:25 PM
C
Here's what i will have to do. Go up in the attic and remove the circuit feed wires from the main breaker panel that I need, and move them out the back door, the Use another spare meter that i have and run the hot wires over to the new panel I will install. Then I can install that transfer switch and generator pigtail which will then be short. I think that will do it.

thanks for your help.

Old 11-17-14, 06:36 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'd be somewhat surprised if the generator could exceed 220V 30A without stalling. It takes a pretty substantial engine to actually do that, even if it has that size breaker. The manufacturers exaggerate about the power it will produce in the real world.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: