Generator Power Inlet sharing with a panel.

Old 11-17-14, 08:41 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generator Power Inlet sharing with a panel.

Hello everyone.

So I am trying to solve multiple issues in a simplified manner. I have a semi portable generator that I need to hook up to the home and have been looking at the following
PB50 Transfer Switch Accessory - Reliance Controls Corporation
But at the same location that I would install this I need 120Volt plug, 220V plug for an air compressor and would like to have a 50 Amp, and 30 Amp travel trailer
Yeah I know lots of plugs and all currently outside.

So I started thinking and think this would be a great solution

Install this panel.
Eaton Power Outlet Panel - Unmetered-CHU1N7N4NS at The Home Depot
this would take care of 115v, and the 2 trailer plugs.

Then I could install a 2 pole 20 amp breaker with a flex line coming out of the bottom going to the Air compressor which will be about 5 feet away.
And lastly I could install
PK50 Transfer Switch Accessory - Reliance Controls Corporation in the bottom, as in the plug would be vertical going in.

thoughts?
I see enough breaker slots for all of this
I see enough plugs.
My compressor line would be hardwired with the breaker right there.
Generator input line should fit inside with no issue.
1 box on the outside of my home VS multiple holes and boxes.

Q I have
From my main panel I would have neutral and grounds to the panel could I tie into those for the generator input? This would save me 2 runs back to the main panel and a lot less wire inside the sub.

Ok ... let me have it.

Old 11-17-14, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Everything looks good on paper but you are forgetting you need to disconnect the street power from the main panel when you introduce a portable generator. That sub panel doesn't have transfer capabilities.

Old 11-17-14, 08:56 PM
Again there is no transfer of power from the grid to the generator. Everything else looks good but, I'm not an electrician.

Old 11-17-14, 09:20 PM
I
Sorry forgot to mention the Gen input plug will have its own set of L1 and L2 lines going back to the main panel on a 50 amp breaker with a interlock to the main breaker.

So basically I'm installing the sub panel like normal, taping out 1 20Amp for the compressor via a flex line on its own breaker in the sub panel VS a plug and then cutting in the gen input line.
My plan for shared lines would be Ground and neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: