residential electrical rough-in inspection Minnesota

Old 11-18-14, 03:00 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
residential electrical rough-in inspection Minnesota

Greetings! new to the forum. I live in Minnesota. I'm doing the electrical myself in a basement shop area, which is partial exposed stud walls (no plans to cover) and partial existing sheetrock walls (accessible from the backside). I'm adding receptacles onto 3 pre-existing 20 amp arc-protected/gfci circuits which were previously wired by an electrical contractor/inspected. He ran the 3 circuits into the shop for me. I've installed the receptacle boxes, run 12-2 wire into/out of each box but have not wired the outlets yet.

for the rough-in inspection, should/must I wire the outlets? If so, what is a final inspection?

any advice/assistance is much appreciated.

John

Old 11-18-14, 05:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,229 Upvotes on 1,988 Posts
Others will better knowledge will be along soon but a rough in is generally looking at the wires sizes, switch and outlet locations, wire length in box, nail plates if needed... Rough-in inspection is done before the wires are concealed by sheetrock and before outlets, switches and fixtures are installed. Years ago it was common practice to cut ground wires short inside the box and only leave one long protruding through the green wire nut so now the inspectors specifically look for the wires, including grounds to all be at least 6" long and protruding at least 3" from the box face. Basically just follow current code and you'll be OK.

Old 11-18-14, 06:57 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
At rough, all of your boxes should be mounted to framing, cables routed through holes in framing and stapled for proper support. Anywhere the cable is exposed or needs additional protection, nailing plates or support boards should be installed. Inside the boxes, strip back the romex outer sheathing and make up the ground connections. Some guys will also make up pigtails on the hots and neutrals, but it is not required.

At final, everything should be done and ready for use up to wall plates installed.

Old 11-18-14, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
All the grounds need to be made up as a minimum. Other splices are optional. Making the other splices while you can see where the cables go helps.

Old 11-18-14, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Many inspectors during a rough inspection will visually check for a green grounding screw, in the back of the box, if you are using metal boxes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: