service disconnect - portable generator?

Old 11-20-14, 11:23 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question service disconnect - portable generator?

I have a small 1000w portable generator I use when power is out, it has a 220v plug I could plug into a 220 outlet.

The panel in the house is a 200 amp HOM40M200C, it is less than 5 feet from where the Power comes into the house. It has a 200 amp breaker at the top of the panel. Do I need a separate disconnect for the service to plug in the generator when the power is out? Can I just turn off the service at the panel? Is that safe enough when the power is restored? If not what kind of disconnect would I need to install?

Old 11-20-14, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You are going to need an interlock of a transfer switch.

With a generator that small you are going to need load management also.

I suggest you read the generator sticky at the top of the forum for more information.

Old 11-20-14, 11:39 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
it has a 220v plug I could plug into a 220 outlet.
That would be very dangerous because it would require a suicide cord. A cord with a male plug on both ends, one of which could easily come loose and injure or kill someone touching the energized prongs.
Can I just turn off the service at the panel?
No that is never safe or legal.
it has a 220v plug
If it is a 240 volt receptacle it can not supply 120 volts. It can if is it a 120/240 4-wire receptacle? Is that what you have?

To connect to breaker box you need an inlet connected to a 2-pole breaker in your panel protected by an interlock that prevents generator breaker from being on when the main breaker is on. However some jurisdiction do not allow interlocks because of potential safety issues so you would need a transfer panel or transfer switch. Please see: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...generator.html

Old 11-20-14, 01:39 PM
P
Received 13 Upvotes on 10 Posts
What 1000 watt generator does 240 volts? What appliances do you have that are 240 volts and only draw 4 amps? With that size generator you should only be plugging in a couple of 120 volt items with extension cords. If you need to connect a gas furnace with a circulating pump, there are several companies like Reliance that make single circuit transfer switches that will connect with an extension cord to your generator.

Old 11-23-14, 04:32 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
But even with those interlock switches the power is not insulated from the Power CO. As all it does is turn off the main breaker and turn on one of the other breakers in the box, this does not sound safe to me. The generator needs to be totally isloated from the Power Co. meter. The generator I have is bigger than 1000W it was a typo on my part.

Old 11-23-14, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The interlocks have been tested and satisfy the requirements to isolate utility and generator power. Many are from the panel manufacturer and are UL listed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: