powerline not issue for upgrade to 200 amps?

Old 11-20-14, 06:13 PM
powerline not issue for upgrade to 200 amps?

i got an estimate that the electrician said that the powerline not an issue for upgrade to 200 amps? the seu wire coming in and going up to the powerline connection is rated for 100 amps. he said that the code is different for powerlines because they do not have a outer jacket on the 2 insulated abd bare neutral wires. what are your opinions on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-14, 06:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The SE cable will need to be upgraded. The triplex from the pole may not be upgraded. It depends on the power company as the use different sizing rules.

Old 11-20-14, 06:32 PM
should a powerline be upgraded to 200 amp if its not rated for that? last is it ok to have an electrician do this job without pulling a permit? or should the extra money be spent to pull the permit? he gave those 2 options.

Old 11-20-14, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt the power company will reconnect the power without a permit and inspection.

I don't know why a reputable contractor would not pull a permit for this.

Again the triplex is under the power company rules and controls.

Old 11-20-14, 06:40 PM
this electrician said he can just cut the live wires and hook up the seu wires to the powerline while live.

Old 11-20-14, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Where I am only the power company makes connections to their lines.

Old 11-21-14, 08:27 AM
should a powerline be upgraded to 200 amp if its not rated for that?
Most power companies size their lines and equipment to the customer's actual load and not to their service size. Just because you are upgrading to 200 amps doesn't mean your load is increasing. If you add any significant loads, it is your responsibility to inform the power company of the new loads before the new load is connected to the system. Utility companies follow the National Electric Safety Code where contractors will typically follow the National Electric Code, two different codes. The overhead service drop amperage rating is determined by a different table in the code because it is in free air. As I recall, 1/0 aluminum overhead triplex is good for 200 amps where aluminum service entrance conductors for a 200 amp service must be 4/0.

this electrician said he can just cut the live wires and hook up the seu wires to the powerline while live.
That is commonly done temporarily here too, but doesn't negate the need for a permit. Here the wiring approval is sent to the power company after the inspection and then the power company will make the permanent connection and seal the meter.