Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Low voltage DC (Computer Use)What is the proper wiring for these switches?

Low voltage DC (Computer Use)What is the proper wiring for these switches?

Old 11-24-14, 03:31 PM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
Question Low voltage DC (Computer Use)What is the proper wiring for these switches?

I purchased some LED switches that I am going to add to an older computer case with a broken power button and I am not sure of the wiring of them

The switches have 5 terminals
I assume 3 for the switch and 2 for the LED but the diagram that was posted by the seller confuses me
The terminals are marked
+ NC NO C1 -
I want the power symbol switches LED to light up when the computer is on and the actual switch is to turn the computer on/off (Like the original switch that broke)
I have a second switch that I want the LED to light up for Hard drive activity and the switch is to be a reset switch (Which the case did not originally come with)

Here are the pictures of the switches

and here is the diagram that has me stuck

I am unsure what is meant by the bond strap but by testing the LED will only light up if I connect + to the positive power and - and C1 to the negative of the power supply
are these switches suitable for what I want to do or did I purchase the wrong ones for my purpose?

Thanks

Old 11-24-14, 04:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Most computer power supplies have been ATX since the late '90s. Unless the power supply is AT (very old) you need a momentary contact switch. Are these momentary contact?

Old 11-24-14, 05:13 PM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
+ positive for the LED

NC - normally closed contact
NO - normally open contact
C1 - common for the contacts.

- negative for the LED

Old 11-24-14, 05:46 PM
Yeah the switches are momentary contact and ATX requires a normally open switch (The computer uses an ATX power supply)

I am a computer tech but obviously I don't want to destroy my motherboard by mis-wirng a simple switch so I though I'd ask first as I never dealt with these types of switches before

I don't even remember the last time I dealt with an AT power supply but I do remember that it actually switches the supply off with a hard switch that is directly wired to the hot and neutral of the AC line. I am glad I don't have to deal with that anymore

Old 11-24-14, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I don't know if you are still working on these switches but the + and - should be for the LED only. The C, NO and NC are the switch. There should be no connection inside the switch between the LED and the switch terminals.

I don't know if you need to switch the power supply to ground or if there is a 5v supply and a switched 5v back to the supply.

By the description listed there.... those sure look like latching switches and not momentary.
If they are confirmed as momentary then the wiring description is incorrect and should probably be ignored.

Name:  comp.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  8.9 KB

Old 11-25-14, 06:46 PM
Thanks all I got it
+ and - are for the LED only which I connected to the Power LED/HDD (For the power switch/Hard Drive LED for the other switches LED ) C1 and NO (Normally open the contact close when the switch is pressed and open when released) are the correct contact configuration I used as that is what an ATX computer power supply requires

Yeah PJmax the switches I confirmed are momentary with my multimeter
Everything is working the way it should I just have to figure out how to mount them

Old 11-25-14, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Good news.... ..........................................

Old 11-26-14, 06:44 PM
The finished results

Thanks all!
It works and looks great
The badly translated diagram (Probably meant for a latching switch also) is what confused me but as I looked into it the wiring was simple

Again thanks for the reassurance that it was that simple

The switch on the left is the reset switch and the lighted ring is the hard disk LED

the switch on the right is the power switch and the LED is for power

Yes my extra computer is pink but I don't care

Old 11-26-14, 07:13 PM
Darn nice looking. I have a sticky power button on mine now you got me thinking....

Old 11-27-14, 03:33 PM
at ray if you want to buy them I bought them on eBay

Here is the power button
I bought the Momentary and the white LED one

Here is the one I used as a reset switch and hard disk LED
I bought momentary and the red LED one

they require a 16MM or 5/8" hole that I happened to have a spade bit that made an exact hole and the switch went right in and is held in place with a nut on the back

Old 11-27-14, 04:23 PM
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: