Wiring pole barn with new ceiling

Old 11-24-14, 07:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring pole barn with new ceiling

Hello,

I am trying to plan out putting up a ceiling in my pole bar, I seem to have a situation where the electric is run along the top plate (2X8?), and either turns up to go into the rafters to then go to hanging lights or turn down to go to an outlet.

Photos attached.

I am wondering how I would address putting up drywall where the wires go up into what would be the attic/crawl space, how do you handle the drywall going up against the wire, do you have to use conduit or drill/cut a hole/recess?

Name:  IMG_1506.jpg
Views: 17706
Size:  30.2 KB

This is the one out of the panel I'll put up another with the wire that turns up.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-24-14 at 11:19 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 11-24-14, 07:23 PM
Photos

here is an example the wire is currently unstapled but would go up Name:  IMG_0118-001.jpg
Views: 11081
Size:  21.5 KB and across to power a light from above the would be ceiling

Old 11-24-14, 07:24 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The cables have to be at least 1.5" deep from the face of the drywall, so you have a couple options. One would be to box out around the wire chases using 2x4s. Another would be to re-run the wires from the panel to the first junction box on a route that would be through the framed out walls / ceiling. Another option would be to unhook the cables, install the drywall, then re-run the cables through surface mounted conduits.

Old 11-24-14, 07:52 PM
Through the ceiling

I might have a difficult time boxing it out with the garage doors in the way, unless im not following.

For the surface mount how would i go through the ceiling just an elbow and notch out the drywall? Also do you have to run the surface mount conduit from the panel to the end? or can you start the conduit at a junction box that is fed by non conduit go through the ceiling, then junction box back to non conduit?

for the junction box option (what I think I prefer) how do I get past the ceiling? do i need to go behind the 2X8 and up to the rafters and put the junction box up there to feed the lights that will be surface mounted to the ceiling? then for the rest of them run on the same 2X8 across as is for the runs that do not need to go up to feed the lights.

Old 11-25-14, 07:58 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it was mine I'd be pulling the staples and removing and rerouting the wires.
What's the wall set up? Looks like someone just attached 2 X 's laying flat on the wall.
That would not allow you the needed room for boxes or wiring clearance.
No picture at the top of the panel but often there's a spot for a large knock out so all those wires from the panel could be run though a single conduit chase.

Old 11-25-14, 08:43 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Yeah, run the cables through the center of the double 2x8 beam up into the ceiling space. You can have junction boxes in the attic as long as they are reasonably accessible from the attic. Inside the attic space, the cables should be stapled alongside the bottom chord of the 2x4 truss such that you can't step on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: