Hide Live Wire

Old 11-25-14, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hide Live Wire

Hello,

I have a live wire that fed an old oven (might be higher voltage than 110v)...it is sticking out of the drywall. I don't need it anymore. I want to hide it behind the drywall. What is the safest method for that?

Was thinking of putting the twist connectors on each wire, wrapping insulation tape around each one for safety, and hiding it in a junction box... (I cannot unhook this line from the fuse box)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-14, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Sounds right to me but electricians may say something else, Be sure to put cover on and leave note to what voltage and breaker it from. Some day i future may need this

Old 11-25-14, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Always better to disconnect at the box so it's a dead line, but I agree...your plan sounds ok.

Why can't it be disconnected at the box?

Btw...in the US...it's 120 and 240. 110 is long gone.

Old 11-25-14, 03:00 PM
I am not an electrician I am a landlord and when I rented out my grandmothers house after she passed away I first had electricians in who did some upgrades especially in the kitchen. At the time I asked a great deal of questions and had similar things with exposed wires too. One question I believe was about a wire for an old fan, certainly not as much danger but you can still be shocked. I asked them can we just cap the wire off and hide it behind the wall and they said no you can't do that it is against code.

In my case it went to another electrical box so the wires box was found and it was disconnected and removed. In your case you legally at least to codes in the United States have two options put the wire in an electrical box that can be accessed at a later date and properly covered with a box or trace the wire back to the panel box and remove it from there and then cover the hole to the box with a cover. Any other way to do it would be against code and very dangerous.

Old 11-25-14, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Capping off the wires and enclosing them in a junction box is fine. However, the junction box must remain accessible. In other words it cannot be hidden behind sheetrock.

Old 11-25-14, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Still want to remove the wires from the breaker and cap them off also.
A simple tag with blue tape on the old wire in the panel box with a note what it was for will make it easier for anyone in the future.

Old 11-25-14, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
All wires must be in a box. All boxes are required to be accessible. If you want to bury it in the wall, the circuit needs to be disconnected at the panel and removed, then the wires can be abandoned in place.