right type of electric box?

Old 11-29-14, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
right type of electric box?

i see there are lots of electric box options and trying to figure out what type is best. whats the difference between a switch box and utility box and what one is allowed to be covered in drywall? also can an electric box have knockout clamps if covered by drywall? i am looking for an electric box thats metal, has internal nm clamps and can mount to a stud and at the same time can be up to 5 to 6 max gangs and low as one. some metal boxes have the screw hole outside the box as opposed to a utility boc where it is inside the box. are there long 6 gang boxes that mount to studs and have a plaster ring thats 5 to 6 gang?

here is a link to what i am talking about except i want internal nm clamps and plaster ring:

Shop Raco 63.5-cu in 4-Gang Metal New Work Wall Electrical Box at Lowes.com

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-14, 05:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Here's the plaster ring RACO Plaster Ring Gang Box Cover, 6 Gang - G1790932 at Zoro

Here;s the junction box 1 PC New Six 6 Gang Device Rough House Box 1 5 8" Deep Concentric KO'S | eBay

It is doubtful you will find one with hickeys installed. Push in strain reliefs are handy.

Old 11-29-14, 05:54 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Old 11-29-14, 06:07 AM
You'll really need to support the gangable boxes across when you get more than, say, four as they will start to sag a little, but they do have the clamps.

Old 11-29-14, 07:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
For large boxes like that you use gangable singles to make the box you need. One caveat, the covers and plaster rings are harder to find and get expensive.

Stay away from the utility or handy boxes. They do not have enough capacity sometimes for even one cable and a device.

Old 11-29-14, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
what one is allowed to be covered in drywall?
Just to be clear...NO electrical box can be covered. All connections must be accessible.

Kinda funny to hear "drywall" being used. I grew up in OH and it took me quite a while to adjust to the more commonly used "sheetrock".

Old 11-29-14, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
I think the OP just meant the wall would be finished in drywall. Or at least I hope they didn't mean buried.

Old 11-29-14, 09:59 AM
I think with the mention of plaster rings, the OP was planning on covering with drywall, cutting out the boxes and applying the plaster rings, not sure.