old outlet wire snapped

Old 11-29-14, 01:45 PM
old outlet wire snapped

60 yr old home. i'm replacing outlets. one wire snapped near the base of the outlet. i tried using pliers to pull up the wire but i'm assuming in the crawlspace it was properly secured to the joists. i cannot get in the crawl myself. i have to have someone else do it. so for now i have no outlet

i know the right solution is to hope there's more slack down there to give me a few more inches for the outlet, but just wanted to make sure thats the case. otherwise i guess a junction box would be in order?

and of course the outlet box itself is enrgrained into the plaster so its impossible for me to remove, i tried.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-14, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
The cable is most likely stapled right below the box.

Where did the wire break..... just as it enters the box ?

Old 11-29-14, 03:38 PM
theres maybe one inch sticking out the bottom of the box.

Old 11-29-14, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
That may be enough to splice with a Polaris connector or pigtail wire nut. Polaris is probably the better choice. But is there any insulation left in the box and where it enters?

Old 11-29-14, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Perfect spot to use a Ideal push in wire connector. You can use needle nose pliers to hold the wire while you install the connectors.

Old 11-29-14, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
Your lucky you have some useable wire. Two good choices listed above.
The push-in wire connectors also come in two port.

Name:  push in.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  13.1 KB

Old 11-30-14, 04:24 PM
i didnt see either of these at lowes today. there were push ins but looked like for phone wires. also how do i strip the wire. only thing i can think of is exacto knife and patience. or can i burn it off lol

Old 11-30-14, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use wire strippers that have holes in the tips. A pair of diagonal cutters could also be used with care.

Old 11-30-14, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You didn't see the push-in connector today, but you must find one. It's ideal for your situation. You are dealing with a short wire and it's going to be very difficult to get a wire nut on it.

If you can't fit a wire stripper on it, you can't twist a wire nut.

Don't burn the insulation off. Use knife to carefully slit insulation lengthwise, about 1/2" vertically, score around the insulation below that. You can then peel it off. Be careful not to score copper wire while scoring insulation.

Old 11-30-14, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like the options provided to you.

If you can't get it to work, you'll need to get someone who can get in the crawlspace for you and you'll likely have to cut the cable down there, install a junction box, and feed up a new cable to the receptacle box. The existing receptacle box may need to be cut out of the wall and a new remodel box added.

Not a huge project, but bigger than just using one of the connectors recommended.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-14, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
These work better for extending short wires in a box:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42559[/ATTACH]
As you can see they are inline butt splices. They are available at big orange. I could not find them on the Lowes site.

Attached Images  
Old 12-01-14, 07:14 AM
i see on big orange just a mile away. that pic definitely helps. thanks. seems like this is not an uncommon issue if they are packs of 10

stripping seems like my biggest challenge at this point. and filling in the plaster i chipped out to try to get at the box

Old 12-01-14, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take your time stripping the wire. This is do or die. Like I said above, just score wire insulation a little without cutting into copper and the insulation will peel away slowly.

Plaster can be fixed by building it up a little at a time. You can also get a "midway" plate which is a little larger than standard plate.

Old 12-01-14, 11:22 AM
This is a 60 year old house? What type of wire do you have?

Last time I checked the packaging of those butt connectors or the push in, they were specific on what type of wire can be used with them. I know TW was not listed.

Old 12-01-14, 12:00 PM
Old 12-01-14, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see NM in the box and the insulation does not look thick enough for MTW or TW.