Food Truck Compressor

Old 11-30-14, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Food Truck Compressor

Hi there,
I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but here goes :P
I recently bought a food truck and the compressor works fine. Gets the cooler/freezer cold when plugged into shore power.
The previous owner said that they would also run on the deep cell batteries that are stored in the rear of the truck.
My question is, why doesn't the compressor kick on when I turn on the Main Power switch on the front panel when not plugged in to shore power?
A friend of mine said that it could be bc it's not level, but its not on the much of an angle at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-14, 01:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the freezer 120 volts AC? if so then there has to be an inverter. You need to check if the inverter is putting out 120v AC.

Old 11-30-14, 05:32 PM
Are you using a pure sine wave inverter? If not the compressor probably doesn't like inverter power.

Old 12-01-14, 05:57 AM
Thank you for the quick responses
I am unsure of the inverter situation. THe only power inverter I know of is the one that doesn't work that would be used to plug in something that runs off 120vac.
As for the cooler and freezer, yes the compressor runs off of 120VAC. It works fine when plugged into shore power, but not when i turn on the switches in truck when not plugged in. (either running or turned off)
The cooler and freezer use ice packs(big ice block build up on a metal plate) to keep cool, but I would think that turning on the "main power" would turn the compressor on as well.
I am waiting on a manual from the company that did the original build out many years ago, but am not hopeful.
I have been trying to find a food truck repair in Denver, but all I find is RV repair. and the two closest don't work on food trucks.

Old 12-01-14, 08:25 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Batteries do not supply 120 volts AC.
The only power inverter I know of is the one that doesn't work that would be used to plug in something that runs off 120vac.
Then there is your problem. The freezer is one of those 120v things.

Old 12-01-14, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
It sounds like you have a 120 VAC refrigeration compressor. Since you mention what I assume is a "cold plate" (common on boats) to store the cold when not plugged in. Cold plates are used when things need to be kept cold for long periods but the compressor can only be run intermittently. This makes me think the system was never designed or setup to operate off of DC. If it was I don't think they would have gone to the trouble, expense and wasted space for the cold plate hardware.

Old 12-01-14, 01:11 PM
AH ok, so it should jsut be the fans in the cooler and freezer to circulate the air then? ok that makes more sense. Thank you so much for the super fast responses

Old 12-01-14, 01:15 PM
And I probably need to check on the power inverter that does work. There must be one since the exhaust fans and interior lights work. thank so much again!!!

Old 12-01-14, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
The fans and interior lights might be 12 volt DC.