I need a critique on my bathroom electrical setup

Old 11-30-14, 03:28 PM
I need a critique on my bathroom electrical setup

I'm planning to move two switches (one fan and one lighting) as well as moving the GFCI. Does this look ok? I also could use some advice on where to put the GFCI. I know that it has to be 3 ft from the bathtub, but where is the ideal location. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-14, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would locate both the switches and GFCI at 44+/-" centered above finished floor. The switches closer to the door frame than they are, now, and the GFCI probably centered over the side of the vanity.

Old 11-30-14, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The NEC only requires the GFI and switches outside the footprint of the tub or shower, not at least 3' away.

The NEC does require the receptacle within 3' of the basin.

Old 11-30-14, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The switches closer to the door frame than they are, now, and the GFCI probably centered over the side of the vanity
I would agree with Chandler. However, I'm wondering why the original builders didn't place as suggested. That would be the obvious choice and to normal code.

Don't be surprised if you attempt to move switches to left, closer to door, and find out why box was not placed there. It may be there's a pipe in wall or other situation preventing box from fitting.

I would suggest maybe probing in wall to see if you can feel a large pipe.
Drill a small hole in wall, use a coat hanger to probe in area you want to use for new box, check width and depth.

Old 11-30-14, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A recessed light gives very hard shadows along the brow and chin lines.

Old 11-30-14, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Agreed. People will not like the look of the downward cast light.

Old 12-06-14, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I understand the outlet/ switches concept good enough. I will drill a hole in the place where I'm planning to put the switches to see if there is anything back there. I doubt there is anything because up top it is just a 2 x 4 section spanning 16".

You guys now have me concerned about the lighting. I'm trying to streamline things here and get rid of the wall lights. Maybe I can place the recessed light over the shower and then get an LED bar to replace the existing lights.

Old 12-06-14, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
I still install those incandescent light bars. They give a natural lighting look that the ladies like.