Multiple outlets aren't working.

Old 11-30-14, 05:48 PM
Multiple outlets aren't working.

I have three outlets on one wall and a fan switch in the adjacent wall that aren't working. I've replaced all three outlets and am not getting any power.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-14, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
There are no magic parts inside a regular receptacle that can fail so replacing them isn't the solution. Once you have turned the breaker all the way off then on and scoured the house inside and out for any tripped GFCIs redoing the connections may help. Any backstabs should be moved to the screws. For testing you will need an analog multimeter ($8-$15). A non contact tester won't work for testing and a digital multimeter can be unreliable. Have you read: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html

Old 11-30-14, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
You will most likely have to turn the breaker off and locate everything on that same circuit. Then you'll need to locate the closest working device to the area that is out. Usually that's where the problem will be.

Name:  circuit.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  10.2 KB

Old 12-01-14, 05:45 AM
I didn't know if there were any loose connections and they were old, or if one was bad would it affect them all. I have one GFCI receptacle in my house ( older home) that one is working but reset it anyway. Also I have open and closed every breaker in the box. I did check the lead wires with a simple AC/DC gauge and there isn't power from any of them. They all stopped working at once. I'm guessing it's time to call an electrician???

Old 12-01-14, 05:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take outlets and switch out leave wire on for now. Check voltage at black wires until you find one with 120 volts. Guessing it will have 4 wires there and it is where to start.

Old 12-01-14, 06:48 AM
So the problem could be somewhere in a receptacle that is still working? If only I knew which breaker the outlets where on

Old 12-01-14, 07:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally circuits are arranged by areas. Also the circuit directory should be accurately filled out to avoid this issue of not knowing.