What is this part called?

Old 12-02-14, 11:14 PM
What is this part called?

Hi

The electrical wire broke off the power adapter to my outdoor Christmas LED reindeer decoration which no longer lights up.

Does anyone know what the name of the part on the left is called( the one attached to the white wire specifically) ? I need to buy the part. I need to splice the wires and twist them together with electrical tape. I cannot do it with the wire/part I have now as the location where the wire broke doesn't leave enough slack to do so.

If anyone has a better way to make this work please let me know. I would like to get it lit up for the kids this Christmas and it would be a shame to throw it away.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-14, 11:23 PM
Group Moderator
The name of the part on the left is a custom injection molded power plug. It is put on by machine at the factory. It is not considered a replaceable part.

I have fixed similar plugs by slicing them open and soldering the wires to the pins and then silicone the plug back shut. Not a simple job.

Old 12-03-14, 03:43 AM
PJ, I guess that is why they call us repairmen. I have done the same, carefully remove as much of the molded portion as necessary then solder the connections. I also slide a couple of pieces of larger shrink tubing onto the white wire before I reconnect and smaller pieces onto each of the two wires. Once soldered, add silicone and slide the smaller shrink tubing over eack solder connection and shrink. Then more silicone over both with the larger shrink tube, sometimes an even larger tube follows that, depending upon final desired size.

But the added shrink tubing will add support and moisture protection.

Bud

Old 12-03-14, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
Hah!
It seems a common repair for me as well.

I usually perform exacting surgery with a small size razor knife to expose wire embedded in rubber connector, solder and slide shrink tubing onto each wire.
The repair is then coated with fast dry epoxy as a permanent fix.
Epoxy makes a joint less flexible but if supported will last a long time.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-04-14, 10:00 AM
Well the custom injection molded power plug is completely toast! I ended up damaging it in the process by accident.

My only option is to cut the white wire (I have oh so much of that to work with) and twist to another led wire with a custom injection molded power plug with electrical caps on top of the copper twisted wires. Will this work? Can I just buy any led light wire that has the custom injection molded power plug and snip the wire , then attach my wire to it?

ie. Buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diogen-C0506...3D261370511150
and snip the wire, and attach mine to it and plug it into the existing adapterplug as shown in my first photo.

Old 12-04-14, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
That cable won't work. You need the plug with pins on it to attach to your adapter.

Old 12-04-14, 04:54 PM
that cable has the pins on it, why wouldn't it work if I snipped it on the green wire, and spliced thw wires, twisted the wires together onto the old white wire?

Old 12-04-14, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
I'm sorry.... maybe you're looking at a different picture. The picture below is from the link you left. I don't see any visible pins.

Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  19.7 KB

Old 12-04-14, 09:47 PM
My mistake, yes, I need a similar 2 pin plug with copper wire already attached to it so I can splice the copper wires and attached the old with the new. My problems is finding it. I do not know the name of it and can't find anything online where the plug looks similar and I still haven't' heard from anyone if this method I suggested will work.

I am trying to get around this without soldering anything and easy quick fix that may not last, but will get me through the month. Any ideas to make this work and any links where I can purchase the part I need?

Old 12-04-14, 11:08 PM
Group Moderator
You could probably make a plug with copper nails or copper wire and a wood dowel but you would need to solder. What specifically is the reason for not soldering?

Old 12-04-14, 11:39 PM
Group Moderator
Ah...... repair it any way possible. Ok.... cut the plug off the white wire. Split the white wire about a 1-1/2" inch. Now strip 1/2" of insulation off each white wire. Stick the stripped part of the wires into the holes where the pins would go. One wire into each hole. Now use the two metal pins from the plug. Push one into each hole to hold the wire in. The metal pins will go into the holes and keep the wire connected. Fill the adapter with silicone.

Name:  fix.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  9.3 KB

Old 12-05-14, 07:32 PM
Thanks, I tried this but it didn't work
I have attached photos to make sure I followed what you said.
I don't have silicone handy, so I used electrical tape instead.

Attached Images   
Old 12-05-14, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
The LED lights need DC power and if you connected the wires wrong it will not work.
Try reversing the wires if it doesn't work.

Old 12-05-14, 11:11 PM
I tried reversing the wires as well, still no luck.

Old 12-05-14, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
The wires may have been crossed for a while when they broke at the plug causing the adapter to short out.

Old 12-06-14, 08:39 AM
Any suggestions/links you can send me to buy an inexpensive adapter?

Old 12-06-14, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Is there any info or writing on it ?
We're looking for +/- 120vac and 12vdc or something similar.
Post anything printed on the adapter.

Old 12-06-14, 11:13 AM
Name:  IMG_20141127_133243 (1).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  33.6 KB Here is a photo of the Adapter

Old 12-06-14, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Perfect picture

I can't find a weatherproof or outdoor rated power supply which means you'd have to keep an indoor type dry. Cover with a plastic bag.

New-Power-Adapter-Supply-Black

You need a 24 volt DC - 1/2 amp adapter. 1/2 amp minimum.... can be more.

(nothing available from radioshack - in store)

Old 12-06-14, 11:36 AM
Okay, Out of all the adapters I had laying around here I threw them out before we moved :0

I will get this one on amazon. Do I just cut the new adapter plug off and cut about an inch off exposing copper wires, then twist copper wires from white wire together then cover with electrical caps or tape? Again this is temporary, and I can plug it indoors anyway as the wire is long enough so I don't have to worry about weather.

Old 12-06-14, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... but there is a polarity to the connection. Try connecting the wires in one direction. If the decoration doesn't light up.... pull the plug immediately and reverse the wiring connections.

After the proper orientation is established.... you can insulate the wires.

Old 12-06-14, 06:12 PM
Hi
Thanks, I just bought the adapter and will let you know the outcome. Hopefully it will work.

I planned on attaching the wires as shown the the photos, but if there is a better way let me know. Can you show a diagram of what you mean by "try connecting the wires in one direction"? Name:  connecting wire (800x798)[10].jpg
Views: 218
Size:  20.1 KBName:  cap (800x800)[13].jpg
Views: 191
Size:  20.0 KB

Old 12-12-14, 07:26 PM
IT WORKED!! THANK YOU so much PJmax!!! You made the kids Christmas!!

Old 12-12-14, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Old 12-13-14, 01:12 AM
Group Moderator
.......and another Christmas decoration brought back to life. Name:  OK_santa.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  15.4 KB