Main service panel on outside . .


Old 12-04-14, 07:19 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5
Main service panel on outside . .

I have a 400A meter box along with 2-200A main boxes outside my new home. The 200A boxes are my disconnect point and have only 8 spaces. I use it just for the HVAC and to feed the two inside 100A boxes. I am finially ready for my final electrical inspection and to have the power turned on. I believe I am right here, BUT . . since these outside boxes are my"first" boxes and are considered my point of disconnect,should I have 200A panel ground bonding screws attached and run the two inside 100A panel floating? I am sure the answer is yes, but wanted to run this by you. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-14, 07:34 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,054
Floating isn't exactly the correct terminology but if you have four wires to each and have the ground bonded and neutral isolated that is correct.
Old 12-04-14, 07:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,515
The ground and neutral bond should either be in each of the 200A panels or sometimes in the 400A meter base. Depends on the local code and power company policy. You should check with the inspector on this one for how it is supposed to be done in your area. In either case, the interior 100A panel(s) must have separate neutral and ground.
Old 12-04-14, 07:41 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5
I have always read and called it a floating neutral, isolated same thing.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes